Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I am happy because I am living "Estou feliz porque eu estou vivendo"

24 days

I went to school and accidentally left early when people went to get a drink of water. Pedro asked me, "Para onde você vai menina?" (where are you going girl?) and I just responded by asking the same thing. I thought he was joking. But then I realized once I was outside and nobody else from my class had left what I had done. I had forgotten we had an extra class. I was too embarassed to go back in. Lol. Instead I talked to some younger kids who were really funny. This boy named Pedro (different one) and a girl named Caroline. It was hilarious talking to them, especially Caroline because everytime she laughed she threw her head back and opened her mouth wide. Which in turn just made me do the same thing. So we had a chain of laughing fits. :)

23 more days

Today I woke up early and Helena picked me up at 6:30 am to go to a Rotary meeting. I was a little bummed at first because I was not able to open my Canada presentation on the computer and also they did not have a projector for me to show it even if I did. Because today I had to present about Canada. So I was sad because I would just have to talk about Canada without any accompaniment. I was also thinking about the fact that this means it was one of the last meetings I would attend. But then I decided to be happy. Because at the start at every Rotary meeting they pass around a basket and each person puts in some money along with saying why they are happy. For example, "I am happy because..." but in Portuguese it is, "Eu estou feliz porque..." I realized why I was happy and put the money in. I am happy simply to be alive and to wake up to spend one more new day here in Brazil. So then when they came to give me my Rotary allowance I put in R$50.00 because I really was just happy. I got up and talked all about Canada and it went really well.
I told them basic things like how Canada has roughly 33 million people, which is not that much more than the population of São Paulo here in Brazil. A small number considering Canada is the second largest country in the world. I told them how Calgary has about one million and that it is close to the Rocky Mountains and gets to -30 degrees in the winter and positive 30 in the summer. I mentioned the Stampede and the free Canadian breakfasts. Considering they eat mainly buns in the morning they wer shocked to hear about all the friend, eggs, hash browns, sausages, pancakes etc. I talked about how Canada is unique because people come from all over the world to live there and become Canadian while still keeping their original culture. So Canada has a lot of diversity. Many people have their roots based in some of the first people who came to Canada including French, Irish, English etc. Also the Aboriginals there. I told them that my ancestory came from all those different roots. I also mentioned how it is funny that Canadians have many different chilled drinks such as slurpees, ice caps, booster juice. While here in Brazil people drink steaming coffee in +40 weather! I also told them about my family etc.
I discovered how to open my presentation on the computer just now so have decided to film it and then I will be able to show it on the T.V that Rotary has!! So they will get to see it after all :)

I am going to eat lunch and then go to dance afterwards. Bye for now.

Remember: The decision to be happy is yours no matter where you are.

No comments: