Monday, June 22, 2009

The days keep passing by....

27 Days

I went to school today and even wrote a letter to the editor in "Redação" class in Portuguese. I got Andressa to check it and there were not very many mistakes.
I tried on some of my host mom's dresses when I got home to pick out one to use for my friend's birthday party on Saturday. I still wasn't sure.
I went to Helena's (my second host mom) and taught dance and filmed the little girls dancing. When I came home my family was all there. I was able to figure out how to solve a trick of my father's where you need to separate two pieces of metal. I did it!
Then I went and had a shower because Mateus said I was a smelly, sweaty, monkey. It is a joke between us, he calls me a monkey and I call him a pigeon or "pomba". Kids at school call him that as well as a nickname.

26 Days

I went shopping for a present for Ester (my friend whose birthday it was) and bought her chocolate flavored lip gloss from this really nice shop. I accidentally slammed the car door on my thumb! It is a nice shade of purple. I didn't cry but started having difficulty breathing and almost fainted from the pain. Boy there are a lot of nerve-endings in fingers! I also went to a Roteract meeting, ate ice cream, and saw baby Pedro Olympio (nephew of my first host parents), walking back with my two friends from Roteract; Annabelle and Polly. I wore a borrowed red dress of my host mom's to the party. It probably clashed with the purple of my smashed thumb but other than that I think it looked alright. The party went really well. Ester looked very beautiful in her white dress as she danced with all the suited boys. I don't think I have ever been to a birthday party like that before in my life. It was her fifteenth birthday which is like sweet sixteen here in Brazil. It is a tradition, like debutante, that she gets "presented" to society. There are young men that she picked who each danced with her in turn. It was very fancy, there was even a chocolate fountain......you know I liked that. :) We left at around 4:30 am.

25 Days left

I remarkably woke up at 11:00am. I watched T.V then Mateus got up. Carla (my first host mom) phoned and said she would pick me up for lunch so I showered. We met Matteus (my first host brother) for lunch and also brought Eduardo (the brother of Pedro Olympio) who brought his rollerblades. We went back to the house and I showed them what I filmed from my Rotary trips but it was very long and Matteus was tired from the night before so he fell asleep. Then we watched "Blood Diamond". Afterwards their friend from Belo Horizonte (another city) showed up and they talked and then she drove me home. I had made friends with her family before they moved.

Remember: The water really does go down the drain in the opposite direction here.

No comments: