Friday, November 7, 2008

Nov. 7, 2008 Emily Rose----Axl Rose

Yesterday I went to an English school to talk to the students and teacher. The girl from my school who had asked me to come was there. They asked me a whole bunch of questions and the girl asked me the strangest one of all; "Are you really related to Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses?" I was like, "What? Who?!"
She asked me if I really liked music and said that the English teacher at our school had told her class I was close with and related to Axl Rose. I told her this wasn't true. Rose was my MIDDLE name. At least now it makes sense why so many people ask me if I like "Guns N' Roses". Or maybe that is just a coincidence.
This morning I arrived here (school) on time, surprisingly. I went and talked to the first class ( a grade below mine) for their English class. It was much like yesterday, the same interview process.
I just talked to Helisângela (the English teacher) about "Axl Rose" and she said she had made a joke about it and they must have taken it seriously. It's okay though, I don't mind being the cousin of a famous guy.
Now I am about to get interviewed by my class. This could be interesting. I told them about Bishop Carroll High School and they all wish they could go there. Because of the whole independent study thing. I had to explain to them that not all schools in Canada are like this. lol.
They were baffled at the idea that dinner is at 5:00pm. Here they have their big meal at 12:00pm and then a smaller one at around 8:00pm. They asked me if I am hungry by the time I go to bed. I told them no and that I snack.
Explaining maple syrup is tricky. I told them it is like honey from trees. They also wanted to know what Canadians think about Brazilians. I told them some think that the boys just go up to the girls on the street and kiss them. Also that they wear very tiny bikinis. Which, okay, is somewhat true, but the ones I've seen aren't THAT small! Maybe in Rio.
They also wanted to know if my first choice was Brasil. I told them how I was first meant to go to Belgium but then couldn't so had to go to Brasil or Turkey. My dad was not going to let me go to Brasil because he thought it was too dangerous and I could die. They laughed at this and said maybe in Rio (de Janiero) lol. Then how I reassured him with the help of Rotary.
I find it interesting here how the entrance of nearly every town/city I have visited has a Rotary plaque. I think that is a really good thing.
Yesterday I broke another drinking glass. It is my second one. It seems to happen the moment after the grape juice container is finished. I used one both times to dump the glass into.
It started after "lunche" ------second dinner. Well that is what I will call it. Like Hobbits do. lol. Matteus just randomly stood up and pulled down his shorts. Luckily he had these strange spandex pants underneath. He unrolled them and then put his shorts back on, trying to remove the pants under the shorts. It did not work and he got stuck so he went to the other side of the table to do it properly.
After he got them off he swung them around and threw them at me. Naturally I threw them back. Just as they were about to land they caught the edge of a glass and it toppled over. At first it bounced but on the second hit I wasn't so lucky; it shattered. So the next time Matteus does that I will not react right then. No, I will just make sure he ends up with one of my special spicey forks sometime. ("My special spicey forks" consists of my accidently spilling spicey juice into the cutlery drawer and trying to clean it up the best I can to no avail).
I am waiting for Mamãe again and I just noticed something; all the little kids arriving for their classes have rolley-bags (rolley-girls) and nobody laughs at them. Another part of me that is Brasilian.
That little girl named Stephanie talked to me again today and tried to introduce her friends who were too shy to do it themselves. For each one she pointed to them and said, "My name is...." Hahah so cute. It is amazing that she can speak some English. I doubt she is older than eight.

Sincerely,

Emily Rose------Axl Rose's cousin

1 comment:

Maeghan said...

Thanks for the comment Darling!
I love that you get to talk to classes in English.
And I'm confused. Why was this boy taking his pants off in front of you?
Love to hear that you're doing well.