Thursday, November 20, 2008

Happily Ever After?

Today is Grazi´s birthday. I made her a card. She is eighteen now. Vanessa's birthday was on the eighteenth (Vanessa in Canada). I hope she had a good day, she is just now sixteen and I am almost seventeen. seventeen is my lucky number so lets see what happens.
Yesterday I phoned Dad. Shirley and him are in Calgary. Shirley asked me if she could come visit me with Bryan and Sebastian in December. I said yes of course! I have not seen my little brothers for about 6-8 months I think, I miss them so much. Shirley too of course! They have probably grown alot. I need to ask my counsellor Frank in Canada if it would be alright but I am pretty sure there isn't a problem.
Yesterday I went to help with the young kids again. I walked because Mamãe had to work. It was my first time walking alone and everything went well. I counted three flattened frogs on the road along the way. I bet they didn't know what hit them. Hehe. I also saw these lizard-like creatures that were larger and slower than gheckos. I think I almost stepped on one.
The teacher asked me if I wanted to help with the older kids. I hope it wasn't because I was in the way. She said they would talk to me more, unlike some of the three year olds who can barely speak.
The teacher told the other teacher that I spoke Portuguese. So the new teacher spoke really fast to me. I understood more or less and just nodded along anyway when I didn't. Right away we ate lunch. At least I'm good at something. Even though I had just eaten at home. I ate fast and then went back to the classroom.
I sat with a little girl named Fernanda. She was sitting all alone, probably because she is a little eccentric, but so am I so it's all good. She started talking right away and I just nodded along. Younger kids can't grasp the concept that I don't understand so they speak normally, this is good though as it helps me learn faster.Later she stood up and hugged me.
The children taught me a hand game called "Chocolate Inglês (English)". It is similar to "stella-ella-ola" except that at the end the aim is to step on the other person's feet. It's a really good game when you're playing it with six year olds and wearing sandals.
One little boy wanted me to tell a joke. His name was Vitor. Everyone sat in a circle and took turns telling one. I made my monkey face and dolphin noises. Before I knew it, all the kids were jumping around the room making animal noises. Me and my bright ideas.
I tried to ask a boy named Carlo how old he was (Quantos anos você tem?) and the boy beside him looked at me in awe and said, "Nossa (Wow)! She speaks Spanish!" He then demanded me to speak more "Spanish" so I said, "buenos dias" which is at least real Spanish.
We went to go watch a film after, combined with another class. The teacher asked me if I was Brazilian. You'd think she'd be able to tell I wasn't since I speak such good "Spanish". Haha. Oh well, it's always flattering when people think I am from here.
We proceeded to watch the film. It happened to be about fairytales. I love fairytales and their "happy endings". Wait, the tin soldier and ballerina falling into the fire, happy? They melted in the shape of a heart, so that makes it better. Then of course "Little Red Riding Hood" is such a joy; Grandma getting eaten and then the man slicing the wolf open to save her. It just showed the faces of the man and little red riding hood at this part, but the sound affects were great. Sure Grandma is all well and good (despite being immersed in stomache acid for at least 20minutes) but the wolf has to deal with death and all that.
Watching it in another language allowed me to look at the actual series of events and storylines. Farytales are so regurgitated and people are introduced to them so young that they are not payed a second thought to. Man are some of them gruesome, and yet children all over the world love 'em. Hmmmm. I wonder if that's good or bad? Or just not important at all.

The End

Emily

No comments: