Tuesday, July 7, 2009

9 days, good-byes and then some dirt and english



One more of these pictures for ya of me as a human farm doll. :)


Today I had my good-bye rotary meeting in the morning. Everyone stood and said something about me and wished me good luck. Then I thanked Rotary for everything at the end. I got a little teary. There were Rotarians from the two other clubs there as well. It is kind of funny because I was the only exchange student in my town so I got to know all three clubs.
I got some presents too! A face towel and large towel with my name and initials embroidered in them! They also have the flag of Brazil and the flag of my state here. I also got a t-shirt that was from the, well it is the best way I can translate it, "vodka festival" here that Rotary volunteered for. The type of drink is actually called "Cachaça". I also got a DVD of a Rotary party from a Rotarian from another club.
I received an "honorary diploma" for completing school here too! I doubt that they will accept it when I go back though. I guess I will just repeat grades 11-12 lol. But how many people can honestly say that they have legitimately graduated twice? Lol.
My first host Dad and host sister were there along with my second host parents. My second host mom also won a certificate from Rotary International for all her help with the exchange program! I thought that was pretty cool.
I didn't go to school but returned home. I started to pack most of my clothes because I will be returning to the house of my first family this Thursday. I watched Michael Jackson's funeral on T.V and cried. He brought a lot to the world, despite any mistakes he made. We are all human.
My host dad came and picked me up at 3:00pm to go to his work. He owns a business that analyzes soil. It was very interesting. I asked him many questions which led to me finding out that this region in Brazil was once under water millions of years ago. This area now is a savannah. The driest semi-arid region in Brazil is in the northeast in Bahia. It also happens to be the poorest. I wonder if climate has something to do with it. It probably makes living more difficult, I mean with less water and all.
Filipe and Laiza came knocking after and I walked with them to their English school. The boy named Lucas who didn't believe that I was from Canada was there again. This time he believed me I think. Then I went home and saw my host mom going into the house. She had taken the bus and then walked. She gave me a yellow bag that people at her work wanted me to have as a present. It was very nice of them.

Remember: you lived in a savannah! ( I don't know if that is how you spell it)

No comments: