Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Second Host Family

I started school again and also switched host families. It was harder than I thought it would be. And I cried. Even though it is kinda funny because the houses are really near each other. It is just difficult because now I miss my old family here and everyone back in Canada. I'm trying not to think of how hard it will be when it is time for me to go. Now I know why exchange students have to go through the whole re-entry program and everything. It's okay though, I really like my new family and will eventually adapt. It's all part of the experience.
School is good. Obviously I understand more now which is really good. After school today I went with André (son of Helena's friend) to an English class. It was cool because when I arrived they were reading about igloos and the Inuit in Canada. I asked them to guess where I was from and they guessed Canada! That was, I think the only time anyone has actually thought I was from there right off the bat. Except afterwards the girl said somebody had told her I was, so it doesn't really count. Also the fact that she looked more Canadian than me, later having everyone point it out. Still, it was cool.
People were awe-stricken when I told them I had met people who live in Nunavut. I told them how they thought it was really hot in Ontario and showed them where Ontario was on the map. We then talked about how if they went to the North Pole they would probably die of cold and if the people I met came here to Paracatu they would definately sweat to death. You know because that is really not morbid at all.
Speaking of morbid, Sunday, the day before my last day with my first host family, we went to their friend´s farm. The morbid thing is that I was sitting down in another room looking into the kitchen, the front door was open and there was a reflection of a chicken walking around outside reflected in the oven door. I just thought that was really, really, ironic. Like that his fate was reflecting him in the face. It was like it was just waiting there for him. Anyway, that is my disturbing observation for the day. How did you like it? Lol.
Later on there were frogs outside and I went to go look at them...until everyone told me not too get too close because they shoot acid from their backs when frightened. Lovely. The frogs I used to play with in Canada didn't have this super-frog ability. Of course they don't have to fight off the kind of predators that live in Brazil (example, poisonous caterpillars) hahah just kidding (but not really because there are poisonous caterpillars).
Anyway, I will stop talking about poison shooting frogs and ill-fated chickens. Because maybe the chickens will end up adapting like the frogs and wearing mirrors on their faces to reflect their fate. HAhahaha. Life is about adaptation. Exchange students have to adapt alot.
So I am going to start dancing ballet and jazz, I am pretty excited about that. I haven't danced in a year so we will see how that goes. Hopefully I will be able to bounce back. Hopefully I haven't lost everything.
I taught Matteus and Filipe how to make pancakes. After they learned they started inventing new kinds. Matteus made pancakes with chocolate and bananas and then poured condensed milk on the top. Now everybody is pancake crazy and they are coming over Friday to have a pancake party. Not only that but they plan on inventing more ways to eat them, I heard something about using this certain kind of Brazilian vegetable so I am just gonna have to wait and see how that turns out. It could be good, you don't know. :). That would be funny if like one hundred years in the future part of Brazil's history is, "There is no certainty as to when Canadian pancakes were first introduced into the country but the benefits would be everlasting..." HAhahaha. You never know, it could happen.
The day before I left my first family a man training to be an engineer came to stay in the house for one month, he is the son of Pai's friend and lives in a city called "Ouro Preta" (Black Gold). His name is Gustavo and he is really nice. I hope he has a nice stay.
I just came back from Gabriel's fourth birthday party. It was really fun. He laughs alot when I make my dolphin noises or monkey face. Afterwards he danced to music, it was really cute. Helena brought a cake for him. It had spiderman on it. I had to eat it really slow because I was really full from eating so much. You know that feeling where your stomache is stretched to the limit but you need to eat to make people happy? Yes, it makes people happy to see me eat and like their food. No joke. I don't just eat for my own means of survival, I eat to spread the love. And love always needs to be spread. Even if it means eating one more slice of bread. Hehehehe sorry for rhyming there, I sound pretty eccentric in this blog entry lol. It's kinda all over the place. From moving houses, to making pancakes with vegetables, to crazy frogs, and chickens with mirrors on their heads. It's just my stream of consciousness thinking out loud that I do. If you can follow it, great. If not, you shouldn't feel too bad, it's kind of confusing.
I should mention that I was writing in my diary the other day (yes I keep a diary too, if you think this is interesting, you should read that) and I thought I was writing in English. After a few sentences I stopped and read it over, only to realize it was in Portuguese! That means I was thinking in Portuguese! But not only thinking it, thinking it as easily as I would think in English! It's just so interesting how the brain learns. I guess I've been watching "Grey's Anatomy" too much, which is also probably why I think I have a tumour beside my nose. No, seriously, there's a bump (and I know what you are thinking, "Emily, are you sure the lump isn't just your nose itself?") I may be a hypochondriac but not THAT bad of one. If it gets any weirder I will have it checked out.
Well, I am really hot and sweaty and tired. I have to get up at 6:00am tomorrow to go to school by 7:00am. I am going to go have a shower now. Although I am somewhat afraid to. I would tell you why but...what the heck, I will tell you. I am convinced that when I try to turn the shower off, I get an electrical shock. Seriously, I don't think I am imagining it, there is like a wire connected to the shower head, and I am pretty sure I know what it feels like to be electricuted. I guess it is the same thing as the tumour, I will see if it shocks me again (to be sure I am not losing it) and then tell my host parents. Okay, cross your fingers for me.

Love
Emily

P.S - I have my own personal box full of different types of chocolate in my room, complete with a small garbage for the wrappers. I didn't even ask for it. Can you believe that? How lucky am I? And I haven't eaten any yet, but still! :)

2 comments:

Jayden said...

I totally know what you mean about eating to spread love. I eat so much here.

Maeghan said...

I think it's an exchange student thing.

You take like, half of what you want to eat to start off with and end up eatting twice as much as you even thought was possible because it makes your host family happy.