Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dancing to Laughter

Yesterday I taught my first ballet class here. It wasn't anything fancy it was just in my house. I had three studants, Andressa, Vanessa, and Elaine. They are twelve, nine, and ten. I had them laughing alot because of the analogies I used for them to understand and remember the movements. For example that when they point their feet they have an orange under there foot and they need to point completely or else they won't make enough juice. It went really well.
Then today I learned that three more girls were coming who wanted to learn ballet. So in all there were six. Two six year old twins and an eight year old. I moved the class to the garage so we would have more space. But all through the class more kids showed up, watching from the street. So I invited the ones who wanted to join to come in. Later others came in who just wanted to watch along with the girls' mothers. There were some boys there, I think they wanted to learn too but were too shy. Maybe next time I can bribe them with some "bubbaloo" (gum).
I didn't use any music this time because I needed to teach them all the basics first. Tomorrow I will get music to dance to. So instead of music, we danced to laughter. All of them just seemed so happy. When somebody went to try a new exercise and the others watched, everybody clapped after they had finished. Everybody had big smiles. So we were dancing to laughter.
I was so amazed that so many people are interested in this. I guess to be a ballerina is the dream of many little girls. Even for some who don't have the conditions to make it happen. So I am helping them make it happen. I touched all of there barefeet to show them how to point, their barefeet with the dust of the street. Afterwards they asked me if they could bring socks tomorrow. I told them if they wanted to they could.
When it was over they asked me what they could call me. I told them they could call me whatever they wanted. One little girl named Rafaela came up to me after (she has a twitch where she cricks her neck back every thirty seconds or so) and she said to me in a soft voice that I had to bend down to hear, "Can I call you 'Rosinha'?" I told her that of course she could. It means "little rose" it is an endearment of the name Rose. If these many kids stay wanting to learn ballet I think I will have to use a space at the church across the street to teach them. I also want them eventually to have ballet shoes.
Yesterday I went to meet another Rotary Club. The club called "The Rotary Club of Paracatu 200". I think (logically) that it was created when Paracatu turned 200 years. Which was ten years ago.
The meeting went well and they talked about how people from India will be coming here and how to accomodate them. This is because the only meat that most of them eat is chicken and fish. The girl that will be staying in my host mom's house only eats fish. It is probably difficult for the ROtarian's to comprehend completely because this is Brazil, people eat alot of meat!
On the table during the meeting there were bowls of fried pork. I was eating them when I met the man beside me. He was the son of a rotarian called Mauria who was sitting on my other side. He asked what country I was from. I said India. He told me that I wasn't from India so I told him Canada. I then asked him how he knew that I was not from India. He said it was because I was eating pork....like duh. Heheheh. Before trying to trick somebody about your origin you should probably not overlook a fact like that. Especially since people just talked about how they don't eat meat. Oh well, he probably believed for like a millisecond.
I talked to the President of the Rotary Club. He said he lived in Vancouver for a bit and also took a bus tour through the rocky mountains. Pretty cool. I think he also visited Calgary. He said, "Good city, lots of oil...lots of money." lol. Well at least people see Calgary as a prosperous city.
Yesterday I also went to get my clothes from my first host family's house. I have been living for two weeks with one pair of jeans...and that is the only kind of pants we are allowed to wear in school. Gustavo showed me where my clothes were because Matteus didn't know and was making chocolate/banana pancakes with his two friends Denise and Natalia. He better not forget that I was the one who taught him that. lol. Or I just might have to remind him and steal all the pancake ingredients in Brazil to get the message across that they are a Canadian delicacy. I wouldn't have to steal the maple trees considering that they don't have any...but I guess I could plant some then dig them up after. Well I don't know where I would get the seeds too....ok wow, I am rambling.
SO while I was there I talked to my first mom about Carnaval and she said that we won't be going to another city but staying here because everywhere was too full. I will go to their friends farm again so that will be fun. And also go to see the music and stuff in the street. Lots of people who live in Brazil say that Carnaval is really crazy, and I have been finding that a few people don't even like it! So I am ok with not going to a huge city for Carnaval. I am sure it will be fun and new though.
Today I went to my club's Rotary metting in the morning. I spoke about everything that I have been up to. They talked about the people coming from India as well today.
When I arrived at school I had to wait for the next class before going in. So I sat in a chair near the front office. People passed me by (people in my class) and asked me why I was there. I told them. Then they were off to go back to class. I thought that it didn't really make sense that I wasn't allowed to re-enter the classroom with them, but whatever.
I was really happy in chemistry because I solved a problem all by myself and then got it checked and it was right! My professor seemed really happy too.
After school I went home and ate lunch and then went to a Jazz class. It went well and I am only about two inches away from doing the side splits. The closest I have ever been in my life. I think it is because the heat makes my muscles more malleable. Anyway, it was exciting. And the other people in the dance class freaked out a little.
After I went to school to play basketball and got three baskets! Then did like this gymnastic swimming class thing where we did exercises in the water. My toes started to cramp and would not move. the toe beside my big toe was pressed up against it and wouldn't return back to normal (well as normal as my gnarled ballerina feet can be lol). It hurt so much, I told the teacher and she helped and told me to eat bananas to help it. After the class it happened again and I accidentally let slip some swears in English, but at least that means that people couldn't understand me. Hehe hehe hehe hehe....oops. But the pain was excruciating.
Then I walked home, met Andressa in the park and talked with her, went inside had a shower and when I came outside all the little girls were waiting for me to let them in. I am just happy that I have something to give them. Something I hope they will never forget.

3 comments:

Carolina said...

Hi Emily ---What a wonderful experience for you. And what a great gift to give ---ballet lessons.

I had my playlist going and just when I found your blog, three Brazilian songs came on in a row.

When I was just 5 years older than you, I arrived in Brazil & spent 2 years there in the Peace Corps. I have 2 blogs; one is devoted to my Brazilian memories. I have a zillion things to write about ---it should take me a few years. I will add your blog to my list of Brazil and/or Peace Corps links. I bet that our experiences will have much in common, even though 40 years apart. (I left Brazil in 1969.) Stop by. Click on my name or go to: http://alittlepeaceofbrazil.blogspot.com

Carolina said...

Emily ---thanks for visiting my blog. To answer your questions ---no I have never been back to Brazil since I left in 1969. My husband and I are hoping we can take a trip to Argentina and Uruguay in 2010 ---we may be able to visit the southern part of Brazil, depending on how long of a trip we can take. We are planing on a month, maybe two. And yes, when I was there, Brazilians called french fries "batatas fritas" but when we made potato chips, the locals called them "batatas fritas," too. A few days ago, when I attempted to translate potato chip on freetranslation.com it was translated as potato splinter ---not exactly the same thing. Have you ever seen potato chips in Brazil?

Maeghan said...

Emily!
You are amazing. What you are doing for those little girls is absolutely wonderful. When Brazil comes out with a whole bunch of world-class balerinas in 10 years, we'll all know who started it! Hehe.

Love you,
Maeghan