Friday, April 24, 2009

Metamorphosis


AAAAAAAAAAHHH! I am just thinking of how it is going to be like to return to "reality". It's going to be so weird. I think it is safe to say that returning is going to be more of a shock than coming here. I'm trying just to focus on the "moment" now but the thought that in nearly two and a half months I will be on a plane flying back keeps finding a way to creep up on me. And airports to me are pretty much the same everywhere, so when I get to Canada is it really going to feel like it or is it just going to feel oddly like I am still in Brasil? Will the transition not be drastic enough? Will I wake up in my bed at night expecting to hear the comforting sound of the wolf hound sleeping outside my window? Or expect to see a ghekko on the wall spying on me while I watch T.V? Or the familiar sound of the bedroom door creaking open as my host mom wakes me to eat breakfast? I don't know. It seems that everything that used to be strange and foreign has now transformed to become familiar, secure. Maybe it's going to be like waking up from a very long, very intense dream. A dream that I will try to make last for as long as I can, but never quite be able to venture back to in the same way again. But life changes and I (you as well) just have to learn to live with the uncertainty of it, embracing that each moment is a new one. Remembering that with change there are most likely growing pains and everything may not be perfectly beautiful, not all butterflies are, but the important thing is what you learned in the end; how to fly.

Photo: A picture I took of a butterfly on a stranger's arm at the Foz do IguaƧu.

2 comments:

Maeghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maeghan said...

Wow. Beautifully said, Emily.
I think about that stuff all the time too, glad to know I'm not the only one!

As to your questions on my blog:
1. It totally scares me when I run into any police here. They all carry guns and the Jandarma are particularly frightening because they are an army. Also, riot police. I freak out when I see them with their shields and armoured vehicles. Even mall security makes me antsy.
2. Hannah did a little of everything it seemed. She had paintings, sculptures, ink drawings... she even had a collage.
3. She will randomly say "I hate you." and I will ask why and she'll say "No reason." She's joking, of course.
4. I've heard of Double Dutch but I don't know it. Want to teach me?